Monday, September 6, 2010

From American Military to Afrikan Consciousness: The Story of Askia Muhammad

I have a fascination with black/African self-transformation narratives. This particular story reminds me of my own experiences in the United States Marine Corps where I became a "born again Afrikan," my ironical phrasing I use to describe my path to pan-African cultural nationalism. GI

Stokely CarmichaelImage via Wikipedia
Kwame Ture
Produced by: Askia Muhammad
[source:soundprint] "In 1965 and 1966, Producer Askia Muhammad was a star-struck and naive college student who had matriculated from Watts to San Jose State University, while getting college deferments to serve two years active duty in the U.S. Navy Reserve. As Askia began struggles with becoming a Reserve Office Candidate, the country began to struggle with itself with blacks' rights, the hippie movement, the constant protest against the war in Vietnam. In My World: Officer Candidate School, Askia takes us through his path from faithful Naval Officer to conscientious objector."


Download and listen @ soundprint

No comments:

Post a Comment