Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Black Radical Quote of the Day #1- Queen Mother Moore (1898-1996)

"Those who seek temporary security rather than basic liberty deserve neither.... We began to talk about wanting to be first class citizens. We didn't want to be second class citizens. You would have sworn that second class was in the Constitution. Also that citizens have to fight for rights. Imagine a citizen having to fight for civil rights! The very thought of it is repulsive. And I resent it and I reject this citizenship that was imposed on me. From the bottom of my heart I reject it. This is the thing that motivates me and keeps me going." 
Sonia Sanchez with Queen Mother Moore (photo credit: http://www.margaretrandall.org)
 tags: queen mother moore, black freedom movement, pan african, pan-African cultural nationalism, african women

Also dig: 

No comments:

Post a Comment