Thursday, November 5, 2009

Judging by the ICC docket, "crimes against humanity" only happen in Africa


November 5, 2009
I.C.C. Prosecutor Seeks Kenya Inquiry


By REUTERS
Filed at 5:36 a.m. ET


NAIROBI (Reuters) - International Criminal Court chief prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo said on Thursday he believed crimes against humanity had been committed during Kenya's 2008 post-election violence and he wanted to open an investigation.


"I explained to them that I consider the crimes committed in Kenya were crimes against humanity, therefore the gravity is there. So therefore I should proceed," he told a joint news conference with President Mwai Kibaki and Prime Minister Raila Odinga.


"So I informed them, in December I would request to the judges of the International Criminal Court to open an investigation and that is the process established by the Rome Treaty," he said.


(Editing by David Clarke)


[Source: Reuters]


tags: kenya, ICC, mwai kibaki, raila odinga, united nations

No comments:

Post a Comment