Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Professor Gates Panders to White People

Question from FB thread: Was there more to the article that is I am not reading? I have been a "fan" of Gates for awhile and I am disheartened to see him being blasted like this. I read what was written above and it seems, TO ME, that he is simply stating some of the issues that need to be addressed as we get closer to the resolution of reparations (in other words, preparing us for the arguments of our oppressors); as opposed to saying that because some Africans played a part in the slave trade that we don't deserve reparations. I admire Gates research and his ability thus far to open doors and minds. Of course, no one is without flaws. But I think Black Folks need to stop condeming/judging each other so harshly.

Pandering to White Folks
kzs: Prof. Gates panders to white people. The article is a clear example of said pandering. And he has already condemned Afrocentric folks harshly. See hyperlink at end of post.

Prof. John Thornton, cited in the essay, is Gates's point man on this topic. He is author of Africa and Africans in the Making of the Atlantic World. The basic argument is that Africans were not victims of the slave trade, they were willing participants. This argument is misleading for many reasons. I have posted my 9 counterpoints on my blog.

The Debt. Who Owes Whom?
Besides those points we, Afrikan people, have a basic problem. White people have wealthy powerful institutions that controls information about Africans and their descendants. We need more black/Afrikan power to define and declare our truth with no apology.

Several years ago I attended a lecture by Prof. Thornton. I raised the issue of reparations and Thorton replied that Africans owe us (black people in the diaspora). We should hold African elites accountable not Europeans. I challenged Thornton on this point. We went back and forth. Gates jumped into the fray and finally says "well, he is obviously not going to convince you today."

The lecture concluded shortly thereafter. As I exited the building a white administrator thanked me for questioning Thornton. The administrator said he agreed with my position and elaborated a bit (I don't remember exactly what he said.)

Apologies in Reverse
Things get fuzzy after that, but I somehow wound up in Gates's office (I think it was the day after the lecture). I don't remember the details of the conversation, but I do remember that Gates informed me that I should write a letter of apology to Thornton for (presumably) disrupting his lecture.

I refused.

Several years later (2009?), Thornton and Linda Heywood gave a talk on their new book (Gates was out of town, I believe). I again raised the question of reparations. I can't recall Thornton's reply, but I remember thinking that his position on African complicity had shifted. He was less insistent on the strong position of Gates. (I recall also that immediately after Thornton stated his (in my view) modified position, his wife, Prof. Linda Heywood, also a scholar, was adament about Africans being equal partners.)

Gates Attacks Afrocentricism, Dr. Clarke Responds
Gates's agenda is clear. If you want further evidence, watch his series Wonders of the African World or Google it along with the word "criticism."

Also see his attack on Afrocentrism, Black Demagogues and Pseudo-Scholars. You can view the response of John Henrik Clarke here.

tags: henry louis gates jr, john thornton, linda heywood, reparations

No comments:

Post a Comment