Monday, April 12, 2010

"Malcolm X's Daughter to add to Father's Autobiography" (dap @ Jonathan Fenderson) Free book if you can tell me why this story is odd

This story immediately struck me as odd. Rather than just tell you why I thought I would make things more interesting. Send a message to this post explaining why I think there is more to this story. If your idea matches my idea you get a free a copy of Kemet and the African Worldview, eds. Maulana Karenga and Jacob Carruthers.

Update: We have a winner! I will mail the book out tomorrow. Here is the answer I was looking for:

I posted the story several times on my blog and Facebook. Marable went to see the white attorney with the missing chapters. The attorney gave Marable about 15 minutes to look over the material. Marable has been researching a new biography that includes a discussion of the missing chapters. The book was supposed to be out this year. Sounds to me like the white attorney is trying to beat Marable to the press or profits. Even more interesting is that Ilyasah is down with Reed which suggests to me that there might be some tension between Marable and the daughters. But thats just speculation on my part. GI

Update 2: Gregory Reed, the attorney, who owns the missing chapters is African American. I indicated that he was white. Asante sana to Adia Benton for that correction.


====













nypost.com


lyasah ShabazzMalcolm X's daughter, has agreed to write the foreword to three chapters omitted from the original "Autobiography of Malcolm X." Released in 1965, the classic returned to No. 1 on the best-seller list 30 years later. The "lost" chapters were recently discovered by Detroit attorney Gregory Reed [A white man Reed is African American. My mistake folks. GI] who acquired them, at auction, from the estate of Alex Haley, who co-wrote the book with Malcolm. Shabazz, author of "Growing Up X," says she believes "the chapters were omitted because they showed too much of my father's humanity." Reed plans to release them during a commemorative celebration of what would have been Malcolm's 85th birthday on May 19 at the Malcolm X & Dr. Betty Shabazz Memorial & Education Center, the former Audubon Ballroom in Harlem where he was assassinated in February 1965.
APIlyasah Shabazz stands by a mural featuring her father, Malcolm X.
AP
Ilyasah Shabazz stands by a mural featuring her father, Malcolm X.






















Source: NYPOST

tags: Malcolm X

No comments:

Post a Comment