Saturday, March 20, 2010

West bank Luxor, Birds on one of the canals


Striated Heron on the canal.

I only managed to get 3 shots of the same bird last year. Today I saw several along one of the canals this is one of the smallest of the herons. according to my bird book  it does not often come to this area.

  I managed to get a shot of  2. with the new 100x400 ef lens. from the first shot you can almost see how small it is  as its next to a discarded child's shoe


 


.
This is an uncut shot  to show one next to a liter water bottle , and how much rubbish is in the canals,
.
Looks like its day dreaming of a nice clean canal loaded with fish. 

Posted by Picasa
4 yards from  the heron I saw this large lizard  with a baby duck in its jaws.  both are about 50 yds away.
 notice the markings. not sure of its breed  could be a monitor ?



.
The cattle egret 


.
The little white egret and  a cattle egret. 

Posted by Picasa'

'
The Hoopoe bird , upupa epops,   busy digging for a grub.


.
So So busy  it was not bothered how close I was  

.I know this bee on the Aniseed plant.should be on  insectsonwings , its the only macro shot I took today so its on here. and that's that.
.
this bunch of Aniseed is growing wild by the farm yard most likely it was never picked last year and the plant has self seeded, just a few yards from here there was a whole field of it almost ready for harvest, was tempted to ask the farmer for a few stems for drying  in my kitchen. it grows all the year here so I can have it fresh for the cooking pot  and tea,

Skint  looking if there is water in the canal

.
The little egret two busy fishing to notice me,   see how white it is compared to the ones who look for food in the polluted Nile,  http://www.myegypt.co.uk/index.php?f=data_home&a=1 
.
Three barn swallows taking a rest  

'
Two far across the canal to get a good shot of the Nile valley sun bird taking nectar from the banana flower
not seen one do this before,



'
As the canal narrows  the have a bottle bank 

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment